The history of Blankart & Cie
The Blankart family history is firmly tied to the Swiss banking system. Different members of the family have significantly influenced the banking centres of Lucerne, Lugano and Zurich.
Around 1820, Jakob Johann Blankart left Mannheim to settle in Lucerne, where he founded the Speditions-, Commissions-, Inkasso & Bankhaus J.J.Blankart. His son Johann Jakob Blankart became a cashier at Bank in Lucerne in 1862. In 1873, he founded the institute Banca della Svizzera Italiana in Lugano and hence made a major contribution to the development of tourism in the Canton of Ticino.
A Banknote dating back to 1883, issued by the Banca della Svizzera Italiana, was signed by Johann Jakob Blankart.
Charles Blankart, Jakob Johann Blankart’s grandson and Johann Jakob Blankart’s son, followed in their footsteps and opted for a banking career. He first acted as a director at Bank in Lucerne and subsequently headed Swiss Credit Institution (Schweizerische Kreditanstalt) in Lucerne. He could promote and support the development of industry, trade and commerce in Central Switzerland whilst holding these positions.
Charles Blankart’s brother Jacques equally chose banking and founded a brokerage firm with a partner. His company, which was registered as Blankart & Co. in 1901, played a major role in the constitution of the Zurich stock exchange. In 1978, Blankart & Co. merged with Bank Sarasin & Co. Ltd.
In 2010, Daniel Hug, husband of a great-grandniece of Jacques Blankart, acquired an asset management boutique in Zurich. Two members of the Blankart family, Prof. Dr. Franz A. Blankart and Prof. Dr. Charles B. Blankart, Jacques Blankart’s grandnephews, joined him as partners. Together, they changed the company name back to Blankart & Cie. The original company could thus be revived.